May 06, 2014

Daily life in Serifos




On the daily life side, I got here and realized I had not brought the perfect jacket.  The French one I own that fits great, keeps me warm, is perfect in the wind, does well in the rain, and is easy to pack.  My daughter said, “Oh Mom, you don’t need a warm rain jacket.  Rain?  You are going to Greece!  It’s so American to pack for every possibility.  Make do and see what happens.”  All you folks!! Do not listen to your children!  Do your own thinking and use your own smarts.  It rained, there is unmerciful wind on Serifos in the month of May at least until the 15th they tell me (she travels here in July), and at least to me, it’s very chilly.  So, I found a shop today to buy a fleece zip-up jacket with a hood.  I’m finally ready to sit on the beach in the wind which is blowing consistently at about 25 to 30 mph.  Numerous sailboats are nestled close to shore seeking safety from the blustery seas.
Boats seeking night shelter

Wind began just after sunrise this morning.  I was up to see the light come over the hill across the harbor and fifteen minutes later the mood changed and Athena had arrived to order the shift.  Leonardo had postponed our lunch up to Platis Gialos because he had to join a group who were going to disperse a dead friend’s ashes in the sea.  I thought about the winds and the ashes and couldn’t help but hope they had some experience with human remains and how ash flies everywhere in wind and seems to grasp onto the nearest warm human body as if to hold on to life for a moment longer.  But I’ll hear about that tomorrow when we meet. 

I think I would love to go around in a small sailboat in the Aegean and visit the islands.  I’m sure it’s possible, but life is short and I won’t be able to do everything.  The life of the sea and the sailors is another world this landlubber knows not of.  But I have a pair of keds and that makes me boat worthy should an invitation come along to test the waters of the mythic sea and maybe meet Poseidon to whom I will only offer compliments about his nymphs.

Early morning light on the Chora
One amusing daily life side: when Leonardo picked me up at the dock and we came to the house after a brief tour of the quay, he mentioned that we hadn’t discussed cleaning.  I said oh yes we had, we had agreed on a cleaning at occupancy and a cleaning at the conclusion.  It had been his suggestion.  I don’t need a cleaning person, I said.  I’m quite able to clean up after myself.  But oh, he said, you may need a cleaning person.  For instance, you might need someone to iron your bed sheets.  I replied that I don’t iron my bed sheets.  To this he sucked in his breath in utter horror.  I imagine how crass and uncivilized my life has been in comparison to the Romans where Leonardo comes from.  I think it’s an Italian thing and not a Greek thing.  I don’t see the Greek women standing over ironing boards ironing sheets, but it has made for a great laugh and I’m sure it will become a standard to turn down an event or two and say that I can’t go because I have to stay home and iron my sheets.